Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

review: pride and prejudice and zombies

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Of course, I really enjoyed the original, Austen version, so it might have been expected. But I'm not a zombie fan. I'll take my witches and vampires please, but so far in life have tended to stay away from zombies. They're creepy. 


But I picked up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies after my book club decided upon a Halloween-esque read for October (kind of apt, no?). And I was a little surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. I waited to be turned off by the zombies, but it added a nice bit of humor and a lightness to the text, if in fact zombies can actually do that.

And the zombie scenes weren't quite so graphic as I worried they may be. There were a few scenes, that while a part of you might giggle, another part thought a simple "ew." My ultimate verdict is that it was fun. It was a good way to spend a few afternoons reading through it, and kind of relive the romance from the original. Once I started reading it, I had to spend one evening watching the film again. And now I'm thinking about rereading the original. 

As with many things, my advice would be to not have any expectations. Don't think you're going to love it, because you might not. Don't think it's word for word like the original, with a much more formal approach to English and long, descriptive paragraphs, because yes, those are in there, but then there will be a scene thrown it that might make you laugh a little. 

No comments: