Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

day off

Happy Holidays! Sort of.

For some us, today was a holiday. It's one of those holidays that I realize not everyone gets off, and it seems even less so the further away from DC one gets. I remember in school, in Texas, we got the day off but it wasn't for Columbus day. I can't remember what name they gave it, but we got tickets from the school to go to the State Fair. Granted, since we only got one and couldn't drive, I guess the idea was that we would go with friends and family and in a big group. Not sure if they still do that.

Anyway...I spent an enjoyable day just...hanging out.

I woke up, worked on a novel for a little bit and also on some generic website stuff. And then left for the afternoon and enjoyed the strange warm weather (it's odd to have it in the 80s after so much cooler weather lately). I also stopped off at Borders to pick up a birthday card. Although I wound up with a book for myself and a Halloween card for a friend (birthday card FAIL). But I'm really excited to read this book: Washington: A Life. I've been on a big American history kick these last few years, and for all I've read, I've felt there hasn't been too much in the forefront about Washington. Granted, he's featured in a lot of books I've read (obviously), I haven't come across many bios. There was one a few years ago that I meant to pick up and didn't. I've also heard some good things about it.

Then I also stopped off at Godiva to pick up a couple of their Halloween truffles. If I remember correctly, the blood orange bat was delicious! And finally, grabbed some ice cream and spent a little more time enjoying the afternoon. I know...rough day, right?

Sometimes it's nice to just take a day for yourself. My sister is taking a day off near the end of the month, and it's something I think I may have to make a practice of. The last couple of three day weekends I've either been traveling or recovering from traveling. It's quite different to just relax, knowing that you don't have to be anywhere or you don't have to do anything. And now I'm feeling much more refreshed to start another week. For now, anyway. Haha...

I'll let you know what I think of Washington: A Life, and the many other books currently on my to-read list.

No comments: