Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2007

2007 national book festival

Anyone else go?

I've been in Washington for three Septembers now, but this was the first one I went to. The first one I didn't know about, the second one I was stoked about but then forgot about it. What can I say? Third time's the charm.
I was most excited about seeing Jodi Picoult. I've read her last three books and loved them. And yes, I had hoped to have a book signed, but the line was about three lines deep and I thought "you know, chances are she'll have another book out and go on another book tour. I can wait then." I admit, I'm not the most patient of people, especially when wearing a black shirt with the sun beating down on me.
Plus...I wanted to go hear more writers talk. So my friend and I wandered over to the Mystery & Thriller tent, way down on the other side. I guess I should first say that I got there around 1:00pm and that was just in time to hear Joyce Carol Oates speak. I admit...I haven't much read from her but I definitely know the name. I think I've read a few short stories. And later when I told my Dad about it, he said "wow...I think I remember reading her in high school!" So...I'll definitely check her writing out. She was a wonderful speaker. Actually, they all were.
So we caught the end of David Ignatius and then stuck around for Daniel Silva, another writer I haven't read but know the name. I've seen his name during my frequent bookstore trips on the shelves of new releases or best sellers, etc. But to be honest, I don't read a lot of Mystery and Thriller. I enjoy them, but I don't usually pick up something there. I think I'll have to deviate from my usually Fiction and Literature section to pick up his books. He was also engaging and told some interesting stories. How cool would it be to go research for your novel in Russia and visit some inner room of an old KGB headquarter? And what interesting characters to write about. I think he said his main character is an Israeli spy/art restorer. Well, I guess you have to have a cover if you're spy and that's as good as any.
After him we grabbed a quick lunch/dinner and chatted before heading back over to Fiction to hear Jodi Picoult. She was a wonderful speaker, and here's someone else who has done incredibly awesome things in the name of research: spent time in a prison, gone ghost hunting, spent time in Alaska (if it was in the winter, I'm even more impressed). She's definitely one of my favorite writers, and part of it is the way she writes, but also what she writes about. Her topics are definitely difficult to conquer, and yet they seem very real. I've only read three of her novels, but I think My Sister's Keeper and Nineteen Minutes are perfect examples. She mentioned briefly her new book about death row and organized religion that will come out in March. I'm going to keep that one in mind and pick it up when it comes out.
I do have some pictures online, not many but one of each author I saw. I know this is only a brief recap but I didn't want a very long entry and bore you with every little detail. I'm stoked I made it out this year and I will definitely go next year. As we walked back to Metro Center, my friend said that this was one of the great things about living in DC. You know? You don't have to plan a trip around these festivals and events. And the other thing Daniel Silva said was about the festival itself. He urged the audience to write their Congressman if they really enjoyed this, to make sure that it continues. This was one of Laura Bush's initiatives and has her backing, but she'll be heading back to Texas soon and then what? If the size of the festival goers is any indication, I think the Festival definitely has support. I saw so many of those little yellow bags on my walk down to the mall, and my friend saw them on the metro as she headed down, so there were countless people there before we even got there.
I'm a fan.

No comments: