Pages

Thursday, December 06, 2007

e-books

I've been seeing the Kindle on a lot of my trips to Amazon lately, and was also reading about e-books while catching up on some of my blog reading. Hmmm...e-books...
Yes, I suppose they would make aspects of life easier. For one thing, it'd probably be much easier to read the latest Grisham or Dan Brown on the metro, or definitely make it easier to read your daily New York Times, especially on the metro during rush hour. The few times it's been pretty bad, I have put my book away simply because I couldn't hold it at a good angle or people kept hitting my book and making my eyes wander from the line I was on.
Slightly difficult.
But...I'm not tempted to get a Kindle, or Sony Reader, or anything along those lines. At the end of the day...I like my books.
I like seeing the spines lined up on my bookshelves, or stacked up along end tables, I like the weighted feel of a new book in my bag, hoping that something causes a delay in my day to read the next chapter or two. I like being curled up in an armchair with a book in my hands, turning the pages in anticipation, or seeing the increasing thinness on the right side as I hurry towards the ending.
It's what I do on lazy afternoons, stormy nights or in the cold chills of winter.
Yes, as cliché as it sounds, I love the musty smell of a collection of books and I look forward to building my own library in my house (whenever that will be) of books I've read and loved through the years. It'd be a little difficult to do that with electronic books.
So what do you think? Tell me I'm not the only one with this love affair for books in a printed form? Or go ahead, try to convince me that I should make the change (although...good luck. I've heard many arguments and think they're really good...but...what can I say? I love my books).

No comments: