Pages

Sunday, December 02, 2007

nothing

Today I did practically nothing. Sure, I got stuff done around my apartment, but I didn't do any of the errands or Christmas shopping I'd thought I'd do earlier in the weekend. The reason was because I could barely walk (ok, slight exaggeration here...but it may have been the truth last night).
Yesterday I went for a six mile hike through Rock Creek Park that took about four hours. I can easily walk six or seven miles in DC while running errands since I don't have a car and I try not to take the metro whenever necessary. But that's on smooth (in places) sidewalk and level, for the most part. None of this hiking up steep inclines or rock-hopping across creeks, tiny steps down steep inclines and traipsing through calf-high leaves.
It was well worth it though. It's amazing to think that all that exists within Washington, DC, except in the few areas we passed through where you saw the road. Mostly it was just the group I was with and the leaves. I'd like to go again in the spring, because the leaves were a little tricky. There were places where you knew there were steps, but couldn't quite see for the leaves. And then I also kept waiting to fall down the rabbit hole since I couldn't see anything on the floor. It was great to take some time and just hike through the area. I found my mind wandering at times, wandering when I'd be finished so I can stop off at the grocery store on my way home, but then I tried to remind myself that sometimes you need to not think about what else there is to do and just enjoy the present.
But it was fun and I'd really like to do it again. Last night, a few hours after the hike, I met Carrie in Chinatown to see Beowulf (and yes, the 3D was awesome). My walk to the metro was a little slower than usual, and I opted to take the metro instead of walking since I could already feel the tightness. But man, standing up after sitting through a two hour movie was painful! But it was a good pain. It means you worked hard.

No comments: