Pages

Monday, December 17, 2007

rainbows

This afternoon was a little strange as far as weather was concerned. I left my apartment, and needed to pull out my sunglasses, even though my apartment itself seemed dark from an overcast sky. I then turned the corner at the end of the street and had water droplets splashing on my face and on the sidewalk around me. Yet...the clouds didn't seem to be above me and the sun was still out.
Then later, while walking through Thomas Circle, I stopped to wait to cross one street and looked back over my shoulder, checking for oncoming traffic. But instead I saw a pretty perfect rainbow. It arched beautifully behind the Methodist church's steeple, and was full of bright, vibrant colors.
Inside Thomas Circle I saw a few people trying to take pictures and, as it happens, I'd left my camera at home. I normally carry it with me everywhere but this morning I transferred photos off it onto my computer. But, I was reminded that while I may have more than enough pictures of the Washington Monument, this city still provides a wealth of photographic scenes.
Did anyone else get a chance to see it? About an hour later when I walked home from errands, it was gone. But it put a smile on my face for most of the day.
In other news I've finished American Creation by Joseph Ellis. For this book I do intend to post a review, because it was absolutely wonderful and a delight to read. I read the second half in about a day. Today I've just started reading one of my new books on the French Occupation for background for a novel idea I have (and that's all I'm saying). I'm really excited about this and hope to read this book soon so I can at least begin to flesh out the storyline.
One more week until Christmas (and I escape for a vacation in Texas!). Hope your Christmas shopping is done! If not...well, the internet is a beautiful thing.

No comments: