Pages

Friday, January 25, 2008

25 resolutions

As I was thinking of a title for the post today, something with resolutions and 25 in it, I thought maybe I should come up with 25 "resolutions," so to speak, for the next year. The past several years, I have opted not to make resolutions at New Year's, but instead make them for my birthday. It seemed more logical to think in terms of "what do I want to have done by the time I'm (insert next year here)?" than "what will I do this year?"
And according to a friend of mine, apparently the year you turn your birth date, that's supposed to be a special year. So...today I reach a milestone year. I am 25 on the 25th. And by the way, I don't feel any different. Except that it struck me that I'm officially in my "mid-twenties." And my slightly younger friends, even by a few months, have liked to point out that I'm a quarter of a century old.
It does sound old when you put it that way.
But I am excited about 25. I think this will be a good year. So...below are 25 things I want to do before I'm 26. Granted...I may have to come back throughout the day because I'm not sure I can think of 25 things in one sitting. I was initially going to have 10, a good, round number. Any suggestions?
  1. Visit a new country (so far it's looking like a Canadian or Mexican trip is being planned, but we'll see)
  2. Be able to converse in Italian (I just started class last night)
  3. Go back to Montana (this doesn't happen every year)
  4. Visit my cousin in New York
  5. Decide if I really want to go to grad school and take my GREs and GMATs
  6. Buy a kitchen table and chairs for my apartment
  7. Visit a new city
  8. Go to the beach (missed that last summer)
  9. Return to California for a visit (already have tickets! but I felt it deserved a mention since it'll be three years since I've been)
  10. Take those dance classes I've wanted to take, get back into ballet
  11. Join a gym (this one keeps getting pushed back since the opening date of the gym next to me gets pushed back)
  12. I'd really like to pick up running again
  13. Finally get back down and "visit my roots" in Roanoke
  14. Pay off my credit card
  15. Really, really clean out and organize my closet
  16. Buy a bed (I'm 25! Should I still be sleeping on a futon?)
  17. Try a new recipe at least once or twice a month
  18. Get a new pair of glasses (this one I've put off, but I probably really should)
  19. Figure out what I'm doing with my Bali novel

**Ok...I'm running out of ideas! Open to suggestions for the last six!

No comments: