Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2008

produce guru

The other day I came across the Produce Guru website and thought I'd share. I like learning new and often times random facts about things, and this has the occasional random fact about produce. It also contains nutrition information, recipes, storage tips, and even tips on how to select fresh produce. Which can be handy, especially when trying something new.
What really interested me, besides the selection tips, was the "fun facts" part on each page. For instance, did you know that cantaloupe is in the gourd family? Or do you know how Passion Fruit got it's name? According to the site, "Catholic missionaries in South America gave the fruit its name because they thought the flowers of the plant looked like the crown of thorns that was placed on Christ's head."
And to possibly answer that age old question, the site has tomatoes listed as a vegetable.
So if you have some time to kill, or need to focus on something else during the week until the clock strikes five, check it out. Who knows, maybe that little bit of trivial will come up on a trivial pursuit game or Jeopardy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - this is a pretty cool site. Lots of fruit and veggie recipes. Thanks for finding it.

Unknown said...

I checked out the Produce Guru site and have added it to my bookmarks. The site has great information about produce and I plan on using some of the recipes. Some of them I think even my kids will like.

Patricia said...

Great, I'm glad you two found it interesting. I saw the recipes but hadn't had the chance to look through them. I hope they're good.