Pages

Sunday, January 06, 2008

rediscovering my roots...musically

During my teenage years I listened to a lot of "alternative rock," and only a little of the trance/dance music that I listened to mostly in college, transitioning now into the lounge music that mostly occupies my stereo. But I've kept most of my CDs from that time, and rarely put them into my stereo, usually only for an afternoon.
Whenever I go to Dallas and have the opportunity to drive around and listen to my music, I'll usually bring a bunch of CDs with me, and only occasionally check out what's playing on the radio, especially The Edge, the station of my youth. In the past there wasn't much I listened to. But maybe I just miss that music or for whatever reason most of my favorite songs were being played, but I listened to the radio a lot in the car this time around.
I even started digging out some of those older CDs when I got home.
Some CDs I don't have, and kind of miss, like my Pearl Jam and yes, even some Nirvana (I admit I was Nirvanaed out in high school when people I knew were very obsessed with them). I think my Nine Inch Nails are around somewhere, and even before I went to Dallas I had, for some reason, started listening to Incubus again.
Now maybe it's all just cyclical and I managed to stumble upon my old radio stations at the right time when I wanted something "different" from my lounge music. I do tend to go through periods of my music preferences, from classical (usually when I'm doing a lot of writing), lounge, classic rock, dance, etc.
But then...it's just really good music. I slipped in my Oasis CD when I got home from the airport and prepared a quick dinner and just thought "wow...this is really good!" even thought this is of course not the first time I've listened to them. And I have to wonder why I ever stopped listening in the first place.
Sure, something new comes along and it's wonderful and great, but I can slip it in alongside an old U2 CD. And of course, looking back, those were good times. Like many other teenagers, I hated that period while living it, I wanted to grow up and, believe it or not, pay bills...be an adult. But now I can think back to hanging out in the neighborhood streets while my friends skateboarded and we planned to go see a movie or go back to my house to listen to music...since there wasn't much else to do until we were sixteen.
Good times and good music. I probably wouldn't have pulled out those CDs though had I not heard some of those older songs that I still love on the radio. It's good to listen to them again and I think that they'll slip into a fairly regular rotation with those other CDs, and even older ones (The Doors, Hendrix, The Beatles, etc.)
Anyone else ever rediscover an old CD and wonder why you ever stopped listening to it in the first place?

No comments: