Pages

Friday, January 18, 2008

snow=christmas (at least in my mind)

Some may find it surprising that with all my complaints about cold weather, I was apparently born in the middle of a blizzard, after the holiday season. And no, not in Texas (where a blizzard is about four inches). And even though said snowstorm happened after Christmas, I still associate snow with the holidays. Maybe this is because growing up in Texas, we usually got our ice, and the occasional snow, before Christmas and rarely after. And of course "White Christmas" songs and holiday movies only add to that.
When it snowed yesterday, for a few brief moments I thought it was still the holiday season. Especially sitting in my office and looking outside, seeing the snowflakes dance and whirl around and collect lightly on the ground. Maybe that's partly because this past holiday season happened too quickly for me. I didn't get a chance to go out and enjoy the holiday decorations as much as I've done in the past.
And even though I love snow, I don't enjoy it as much when it's after the holidays. Strange, maybe. But that's the way it is. I guess I could maybe still pretend the holidays were around. I did see two lit Christmas trees the other day when running errands...but it's not the same. The anticipation's gone.
Maybe next year there will be a white Christmas. It seems that it snows either too early or too late.

No comments: