Pages

Friday, January 25, 2008

mon dieu, c'est difficile!

So Carrie and I had our first Italian class this evening...and I foresee some difficulty and some humour. Probably more of the latter. And if you know what language the title of this post is, you'll understand.
It seems that, much like my attempts at speaking Spanish, I will probably end up sounding like a Frenchman learning Italian than an American. The humour will come when I leave off letters at the end of a word or with the "R" letter. It took me some time to learn how to "swallow" my Rs...and I've never been able to really roll them. Maybe occasionally if place around the right letters.
And of course growing up in Texas I did learn some Spanish. So...while learning how to count in Italian, some Spanish slipped in occasionally (and it didn't hurt that the person sitting me slipped in a little Spanish as well).
But it was fun, and I expect more amusement. And, as Carrie said, "we're speaking Italian."
Right now it's not much beyond introducing myself and saying I'm fine, but it'll get there.

No comments: