Pages

Saturday, September 15, 2007

909

This morning I woke thinking about California. I don't know if I maybe had a dream about it, but what I do know is that I miss California. I miss the palm trees and the mountains in the background. I miss the attitude, the sun, the breezes...I miss that state.
I was lucky enough to spend four sun-filled years there, and while there were moments that I disliked, I have a lot of great memories. And that's not just because those four years were college years. As it is, whenever I hear Placebo's Every You Every Me I am instantly back in my car with the windows down, an iced soy chai from the Starbucks on Orange Street, cruising and shifting (God I miss my car!) back to the University or up through the mountains. There's nothing better than driving through the mountains.
It's been two years since I've been back. May 2008 will mark three years. You'll probably laugh, but I was sad when I switched my cell phone to a local number. That 909 area code was the last thing connecting me to California. Except of course my friends. My friends I haven't seen in years and really need to go back and visit.
So why am I waxing nostalgic for California? I'm not really sure what made me think of it this morning. Lately I've been thinking about planning a trip back to LA and yes, maybe even visiting Redlands, sometime early next year. I'm thinking that might be a great birthday present to myself. But this morning...this morning clinched it. I have to go back before 2008 ends, since I don't think I'll make it back this year.
This morning, after lying awake for a little bit and enjoying the coolness floating in through my open window, I rolled over to check out the time. Usually on the weekends I'm up around 8ish. I know, I'm crazy. I hate it too sometimes.
But the time was 9:09 am.
I'm not a superstitious person. I don't usually believe in signs and if I do say something's a sign, I'm usually only kidding. Except maybe when it comes to shopping (if there's something I want but don't think I should buy, I'll leave. If it's still there when I go back, it was meant to be). But I like thinking that I'm supposed to go back to California to visit. I'm overdue.
And if you're unfamiliar with California area codes, 909 is the area code around San Bernardino. My University was in San Bernardino county and that was my old area code. I have some really good friends still in the area, and many others spread throughout California.

No comments: