Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2007

shakespeare theatre

I do this a lot living in DC. I walk all over the city streets and pass interesting places and restaurants and think to myself "I really need to come back and check this place out." And then I don't.
Case in point: The Shakespeare Theatre.
I've walked past it numerous times while hanging out or walking through Chinatown, and I must think the same thing every time I pass it. I've been here two years now, and last night I finally went. I was asked to go see The Taming of the Shrew, which is one of my favorite Shakespeare plays. So of course, I had to go.
And I had a great time. First of all the theatre is great and I don't think there could be a bad seat there. Then there was the play itself which was a very good production. There were many moments where I laughed out loud, and not only due to Shakespeare's wonderful dialogue and jokes, but also through the movements and little things that were added.
As can so often happen with Shakespeare there were some delivered lines that were...a little over the top. And to be honest, there's something with a wedding dress (I don't want to give anything away) that initially was great, but overall I'm not so sure it worked. I still haven't decided.
But again, overall, it was wonderful. Of course now I'm really in the mood to rent it again and see Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton thunder away at each other. That may still be my favorite version, and maybe that's because that was the first version I saw ages and ages ago.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i always tell anyone that will listen...that the Shakespeare Theater....is truly world class... and though i dont looove every production..they rarely disappoint...
xoxo

Patricia said...

Thanks. Yeah, that's what I've heard. And I meant that there were only a few lines that felt over the top; it was definitely wonderful and I'm so happy I went.

I just wish I'd gone sooner and didn't wait two years.

Tyler said...

I agree! I have been going to the Shakespeare Theatre for a number of years and this performance was great! I'm glad that you finally made it there.