Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2007

how's it going?

One of the wonderful things about the internet is connectivity. We're able to remain in contact with people from high school and college and it's easier than it was pre-internet. We don't have to take the time out of our hectic schedules to sit down and write out a letter, look up the address and then post it. We don't have to wait until after 9 for a ridiculously priced long distance phone call or worrying if it's too late or too early to call.
All we have to do is shoot of a quick email, even if it only consists of four lines or so. A quick "Hey, how you're doing? What's going on? Hope all is well." Ciao.
But the thing is, I think sometimes we expect an equally short response back. The note is more just about staying in touch, making a quick connection to show I'm still there and still thinking about you and hope that this connection continues into the future.
And even if we happen to be having the worst day in awhile, or are stressed about work, life, finances or, in my case, the time and creativity to sit down and actually write/edit more than a page, we're not going to say that. Ok, some might. But I'm not. I'll say that things are great, busy and I'm just trying to get some writing in. Because if I go on for much longer, or start talking about what I'm working on, I feel like I'm digressing and no one really wants to hear all of that.
Mostly these are people you knew from class or from the halls, or friends of a friend or maybe someone you would have connected well with but just didn't get the chance to know. And who knows, they may never be close enough to hear your entire life story. But even my really good friends just need a brief email for me to say I'm thinking about you.
Lately I've had a couple of those, where you just shoot back a quick response and know that you'll get a short but sweet one back. And it's not a bad thing, but...I don't know, I guess I sort of feel it's almost superficial. But, at the same time, I'm glad to still connect with these people. I do prefer catching up in person because it feels like a greater connection. With these little connections, then maybe someday there will be an opportunity to meet up for coffee and have a real conversation and catch up on the little details.

No comments: