Pages

Friday, September 14, 2007

an inkling of what's to come?

It's in the air. Summer's winding down (and of course my fingers are crossed that I'm not speaking too soon). I know there will be a few more days where the air is thick and heavy and the sun shining down is a little too hot for comfort, but I'm ready to head to the grocery store and stock up on my hot chocolate and pull down a couple of sweaters and light sweatshirts from the top shelf in my closet.
Last night I was able to sleep with the window open and woke up to the scent of fresh air and a cool breeze. I even needed an extra blanket over my sheet and I admit it...I am looking forward to unpacking my down comforter and weekends spent curled up inside watching movies. I know I'm jumping a little ahead of myself, because that's more for the transition of fall to winter, but I'm already looking forward to that.
You see, as much as I love getting dolled up and going out to dance the night away, I love just as much to curl up with something warm and watch or movie or read through a great book. And even though I complain, I do like the cooler months when I can do that. Although to be fair, I only complain when I have to go outside in that ice-cold weather that freezes you down to the bone. Which for this Texas-raised girl doesn't take much.
With this morning's coolness, I wanted to stay at home with the first few light hours, drinking my coffee and writing, with the window still open and that breeze circulating through my tiny apartment. But if this continues, that may have to wait for the weekend. Especially since this morning there was more construction work and standard weekday city noise going on outside. That can be a little distracting.

2 comments:

recovering overachiever said...

I love this weather too, before it gets too cold to enjoy! I'm trying to embrace fall (even though I'm not sure it's here yet) and I plan to go apple picking this weekend. Maybe I'll pick up some winter vegetables and make some hearty food!

Patricia said...

I'm trying not to get my hopes up by saying it's heading into fall because knowing me and my luck, it'll just get really warm again. C'est la vie. Have a great time this weekend. Apple picking sounds wonderful!