Pages

Monday, September 24, 2007

revisiting an older story

Last night I went back to a story idea I had years ago. I remember working on it Junior year in college, but since I spent the bulk of that year writing Paradise without Heaven, I think I must have started even earlier. I lost the text of that story my first year in Washington when my laptop inexplicably died. Talk about a great homecoming from vacation.
Anyway, I've thought about that story occasionally in the past two years because I really liked those characters. I liked the dynamics between them, their personality quirks, their loves, and their surroundings. The story revolves around the arts and last night I was practicing piano and that story came flooding back to me, urging me to bring these characters back to life.
So I did. I still know their names (though I have done some edits) and the personalities to these characters I haven't visited with in years. The only thing left I have of that story is an excerpt I posted online from a very early draft, a very short excerpt.
Last night I started from scratch, remembering the opening scene from years ago but hopefully embellishing more and adding more maturity to it that I hope my writing has gained in the five plus years of the initial writing.
And all I have to say is that I'm excited. I'm very excited about this one again. It's all I want to work on. So if you're looking for me within the next few weeks, chances are that's where I'll be.

No comments: