Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

pre-historic monsters

Scientists have discovered something that I think is going to keep me up tonight: the fossil of an 8 foot long bug.
I saw the article a little earlier today, and I admit I'm a little conflicted. The urban girly part of me shudders at thought of super-sized spiders and other creepy insects (yes...I know they're an important part of the ecosystem and I think that when you look at how interdependent beings are in the ecosystem, it's really incredibly interesting...but...that doesn't mean I have to like them). This is the part that's going to by lying awake tonight trying not imagine a giant spider in my tiny apartment.
And then there's nerd in me who is fascinated by these new discoveries thinks it's incredible that there were bugs of this size.
400 million years ago. That's when this thing was around. I wonder what the world will be like in another 400 million years. That's really...too long of a time to even comprehend.
Did anyone else do that timeline of the earth in grade school? I think it was...8th grade that we did it, where you use what I think may just have been receipt tape and measure out the earth's time periods, with mankind taking up only the last inch or so.
Just wanted to share one of the interesting articles I've read lately. Another was the discovery of Jezebel's seal, and the vacuum mouth dinosaur (haven't read that one yet).
current word count: same as yesterday. I'm about to head home and get some writing in.

No comments: